Photo © John Ternan Calgary Zoo
Implementing Best Practice Into Policy
The IUCN SSC Conservation Translocation Specialist Group seeks to work with governments and other organizations around the world to implement best practice guidelines (available in 8 languages), into policies that benefit nature.
Government directives include:
- The Council of Europe’s Bern Convention Recommendation (no.158) on conservation translocations under changing climatic conditions.
- The Scottish Conservation Translocation Code.
- Canada’s policy directive: “The Canadian Wildlife Director’s Committee recommends the IUCN’s Guidelines for Reintroductions and Other Conservation Translocations be taken into for any conservation reintroduction or translocation undertaken by the CWDC jurisdictions and agencies.”
Zoological Association directives include:
- World: “The World Association of Zoos and Aquariums has passed a resolution of support of the IUCN Guidelines for Reintroductions and Other Conservation Translocations; WAZA members should utilize these guidelines for any conservation translocations involving WAZA members.”
- British and Irish: “BIAZA members must follow the IUCN CTSG Guidelines for Reintroductions and Other Conservation Translocations (IUCN, 2013) and/or those nationally accepted guidelines that supersede, or work in conjunction with, these.”